View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega4 View Post
I just had to chime in here as I'm almost in the same situation to some extent.

I'm 41 and used to play competitive high school tennis. I would say that I was a decent 4.0 (possibly 4.5) back then but over 20 years later, I'm not even close.

While I'm in great physical shape from working out 6 days a week (weights, cardio) and playing lots of golf, I'd say humbly that I'm probably a 2.5 now, if not lower!

While I think I can make it back to a 4.0 in a year or two, I don't want to overestimate my rating. The guidelines for the NTRP ratings state that anyone who has played competitive high school tennis cannot be self rated lower than a 3.0, but I really think I should give myself a 2.5 or even a 2.0.

I don't even own a single can of tennis balls at the moment and don't know what's the preferred brand to get (it was Wilson back in the day).
If you were a 4.0 / 4.5 in HS, and are in decent shape in your early 40's, then there is no way you are lower than a 3.0 now. In fact it is very unlikely even that you are a 3.0, given your age and fitness level. Maybe if you were 60. Most likely you are a 3.5 right now.

Also, when you self-rate, you keep that rating for anywhere from 6-18 months, depending on when you start playing league, and how many matches you play your first season. On the other hand, your improvement will be rapid - you will see a lot of improvement over the first few months. So you need to self rate with that perspective in mind.

Unless of course you are trying to game the system.
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote