View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #239
PDJ
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehead View Post
no, your point stands when you get things right..

a few weeks from being 32 still isnt 33..in fact it isnt even 32..

its still 31..so stop adding years for cheap effect...

anyway, you could say wade defeating evert was a shock and it probably was..but you make wade out to be some old granny who got lucky that day..when wade was often in the world top 10 in the 70s and in 1977 after evert she went on to win wimby and her 3rd major after the french in 1969 i think and the australian sometime between 72-75.

also though wade was 31..(nearly 32, defo not 33) in those days physical/athletic skills wernt as important as now (those vids from the 70s and 80s its amazing how much the players dont move around the court)..check out 1960 mens final on youtube fraser vs laver and laver is lobbed and he just let it go over his head).

so glorious virginia wade got the job done on july 1st 1977..beating a defo non athletic betty stove.

dull fact of the day..wade appeared in the singles at winbledon for 24 years in a row..last time in 1985 just before turning 40.
I really enjoyed reading your post - just one thing, and not a criticism at all, just being helpful, Wade never won the French. It was the US open. I think she won the Italian which was then considered a premiere clay court event.