View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #86
Anaconda
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
Funny, Hewitt said he couldn't find any real decline in Fed's game. He said the FH became suspect but only against defenders like Rafa, Novak and Murray and Courier agreed. You'd think if the difference was down right terrible they'd have noticed...
No. Federer's decline on the forehand wing was simultaneous with his movement declining. Many times Federer was out of position, off balance, going for shots that weren't on. On any shot, be it the serve, the forehand, the backhand, volleys etc, everything starts with the footwork, if your footwork and prep are off then you're bound to make shanks - and let's not forget Federer hits with a lot of spin (which also increases the chances of mishitting/framing).

At times his forehand was just plain crap in 2008, missing shots he'd make in his sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
LOL what? I've absolutely destroyed ALL of your **** weak arguments. Nobody apart from rabid *******s thinks the era from 04-07 was as tough as 08-present.

Actually, I'm not a rabid '*******', yet I actually believe 04-07 to be slightly tougher. Firstly, Federer' level was higher then than it is now. The fact that Federer can take Murray to 5 sets, win Wimbledon and occasionally Bagel Djokovic at Cincinnati, make olympic finals playing good tennis at best is enough proof that when he was in his prime he would be able to destroy anoyone if he wanted to (except for Nadal who was/is just a tough match up)

Secondly, has no one actually seen the field outside of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. Tipsarevic? Ferrer? Berdych? Tsonga? Isner? Didn't Karlovic nearly make the top 10 in 2008? Simon? Monfils made the top 10 winning a grand total of 1 title in 2009. The only other guy was JMDP who was a non fixture since winning his only slam title - even then, what has he won outside his US Open?

You had more champions and proven players in 05 ish; Federer, Nadal, Agassi, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, Ferrero (although he was more 2002/03) and the others consisted of Blake, Nalbandian, Coria, Gaudio (his career does look like JMDP's), Pim-pim.

I'm going to keep Federer and Nadal out of this beause they've been #1 and #2 in both era's, the only guy who is a better match player to every other player from that last list is Djokovic - and even then I hold Safin more technically gifted than Djokovic and any other player in general (although mentally he was often almost ********).
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote