View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
SwankPeRFection
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
^Also, if you have to ask your partner, you're still not in violation of the rules.

If you didn't see the ball or aren't sure, you can ask your partner. If she is sure, you can go with her call.

I think you have to be careful so that you aren't constantly having conferences to see if you can gin up a way to call the ball out.

But if I am in a bad position or am busy hitting the ball *and* my partner had a better angle/position, then I will ask my partner and go with her call.

What will get under my skin is when you get one person raising a finger, the other person putting a palm down and then they confer and decide it was out.

Yes, I have actually had this happen and it is infuriating because it is cheating. One time we had an opponent at the service line and one at the baseline. The baseliner couldn't reach a ball at the baseline and called it good by putting her hand down. Partner at the service line put a finger up for out. They conferred and decided it was out. The baseliner said she hadn't had a good look at the ball -- which was a fib because she saw it well enough to put her palm down.

Anyway . . . . Unless we are talking about serve to the T or side T (where I might see it not wide but my partner can see it was long), that sort of thing is not cool.
This is what that rule I told you about refers to. In conflicting calls, the point is awarded as if the ball was good. There is no conference and then decide. If you have conflicting calls and you're talking it over, the point isn't yours. The ball was good regardless of how in/out it really was. Like I said, this rule was introduced for us about a year ago, so I don't know if it's everywhere... especially since we don't play silly timed matches like you guys do. I can say I've never honestly heard of that. About the closest thing we have to a "time limited" match is corporate tennis, which is played by the same rules as team tennis, so inherently it goes pretty quickly since you play let serves and there's no ad scoring.
SwankPeRFection is offline   Reply With Quote