View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
omega4
Rookie

I think it depends on what's being lost, which will differ from person to person.

Losing a league match or tournament doesn't matter as much to me as losing at work in the corporate world or where money (e.g. prize money tournaments) is involved.

While I will enjoy winning in league matches to some extent, I enjoy meeting new people over a fun, friendly match of tennis even more. So from that perspective, I feel that I've already "won".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Let me splash cold water on this little love fest: Losing sucks a lot.

Or, more accurately, losing a lot sucks.

I was on a losing team as a 3.0 in 2006. We finished 0-11. We won two individual matches. By the end we looked like whipped puppies. It was no fun. If you lose all the time, you never get a rush, and it is dispiriting.

At that point, I decided to captain myself. We have had rough seasons, but we usually finish around the middle or better. I think our ability to be reasonably competitive is important. Folks don't want to lose all the time.

Sadly, I have friends who would like to join the team, but I do not want to take on people who are not competitive. They do not understand this, ("this is supposed to be for fun!") but it is more complicated than that.
omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote