View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #41
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega4 View Post
But since most tennis leagues are about fun and pride, why should player returning back to tennis have to delay getting in on the fun just because they're game is in flux? Shouldn't the league and USTA be more responsive in adjudicating a new player's rating as he improves and gets back to a proficiency level that he used to enjoy a long time ago?
Well, one can have a lot of fun playing tennis without jumping right into league, but I hear what you're saying.

It would be great if the USTA were able to adjust players' rating more frequently. Especially in the case of new or returning players, their level of play can change very rapidly in the beginning.

I imagine there are logistical issues with releasing ratings more than once a year, but don't really have any insight into that.

USTA does try to address it by mentioning on the self-rating guidelines that players should take into consideration their likely improvement over the season when self-rating. I guess some do that, some don't. Those that self-rate too low may enjoy immediate success, which is motivating, but then their rate of improvement is slowed because they are not challenged enough. And of course once they have improved but are still rated at the lower level, they get black looks from others. Those that self rate on the high side may suffer some early defeats, but then are able to improve more quickly IMO.

So from a practical standpoint, given how things are, I still think it's best to wait a few months before self-rating.
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote