View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
charliefedererer
Legend

I don't think that the Orange Triad is likely to cause any harm.

The main questions is whether you could really tell the difference if you stopped, or whether there is a less costly alternative even if you could.

Even though theoretically we should be able to get our needed vitamins and minerals from our diet, we don't always eat all the right things in all the right amounts.
I think I eat reasonably well, but still take an inexpensive "generic" Walgreens multivitamin daily.

As for the Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate, the National Institute of Health recently completed a large (1583 patients) prospective study in those suffering from degenerative joint disease (DJD) which is also known as osteoarthritis.
It found some pain relief in those with moderate to severe pain, but not in those with mild pain.
http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

Pain relief all by itself is a worthy goal.

But if you are not having significant pain, you should be aware that there is no evidence they actually influence the health/disease of the joints themseleves.

From the American College of Orthopedic Surgeons:
"The Hope and the Hype
People who use these nutritional supplements hope that they will relieve the pain of osteoarthritis, and perhaps even repair or restore the joint cartilage. Recent evidence seems to support the first claim. Both glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate have been used in Europe for several years, with few reported side effects. Both supplements also have some anti-inflammatory effects that may account for the pain relief.

But there is no proof that either substance, taken singly or in combination, will actually slow the degenerative process or restore cartilage in arthritic joints. All studies done to date have been short and focused on pain relief.
Dietary supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are not tested or analyzed by the Food and Drug Administration before they are sold to consumers. That means consumers can't be sure they're getting what they pay for when they purchase bottles labeled "Glucosamine/Chondroitin." In fact, a recent study by ConsumerLab.com showed that almost half of the glucosamine/ chondroitin supplements tested did not contain the labeled amounts of ingredients."
- http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00189

I'd have to leave it up to you if you wanted to consider going off the Orange Triad for a time and seeing if it made a difference.
You could always go back on it - or some other preparation of Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.
charliefedererer is offline   Reply With Quote