View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
omega4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquis View Post
Played a match yesterday and my partner couldn't focus during points as the guy, a dark/handsome Mediterranean type, from the opposing team was flirting with her all day.

She giggled away the first set imo, but we managed to win a set to get even* before we called it a day.

Have any of you guys had to deal with this dynamic before? Do you intervene or is tennis subordinate to romance? Have you ever played against someone you liked?

This was just a friendly match, so only egos/pride at stake. I rarely play mixed doubles so this is new to me.

* Mostly due to an argument between our opponents. Dunno if it was flirting related.
I imagine as I get back into playing social and league tennis that I'll probably encounter this situation, but more so as the man who's getting to know the other mixed doubles team's woman better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'll flirt with her but I do enjoy getting to know new people in social situations (e.g. playing mixed doubles).

I think it would be one thing if a Player A flirted with Player B solely to gain a tactical advantage to win a set or match. But it's another thing entirely if 2 people are meeting for the first time and are friendly and genuinely trying to get to know each other better.

I'm a friendly person and enjoy meeting new people. It's just who I am and I make no apologies about it.
omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote