View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
omega4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
I'm highly competitive in everything I do and want to be the best at whatever I do, so I'm highly competitive in tennis. That's why I spend a lot of time practicing, not just playing hit and giggle tennis. That's why I achieved a decently high level at tennis. Even though I know I will never be even close to the level I used to play, I still strive to improve given present circumstances. It was never about winning or losing matches - if someone wants to win matches they can be a 3.0 sandbagger - it has always been about achieving as high a level as possible.
I think that's great and to each their own.

I only have an issue with a person's competitiveness when it adversely impacts my or others' enjoyment of the game. That's when I think a person selfishly puts his own well-being over that of others.

Of course, the circumstances surrounding the event have to be taken into account. I think personal highly competitive behavior is better suited for money tournaments than a league-tennis where a team is comprised of a diverse levels of playing proficiency.
omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote