View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
skiracer55
Hall Of Fame

Lightbulb A couple of different things to think about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWalkR View Post
Been playing a few matches lately and one thing i noticed is I really don't have any specific mindset when I play. I don't think "I'll get every ball back" or "as soon as i get a soft shot I'l punish it down the line or cross court." Can someone give me some tipson how I should play? I really feel like my strokes themselves are decent (working on improvvements) but a big mental change is what I need I think. A real confidence booster.I dont know much about the ntrp ratings but I guess my skill level is like 3.5 or something like that from what ive seen on the board. I've got a short compact forehand thats very topsin oriented. It tends to be on the loopy side and my faveorite shot is to take the forehand to you the backhand. My backhand is relativley new and stiff and flatter. But when i connect well it has a fair amount of pace and spin. My serve is ehh inconsistant. I lack precise placement and can hit a decent serve i suppose (working on more pace) but im not going to blowing anyone off the court i dont think.. at least not yet! So can someone help me out? Its not that im mentally weak.. its just i i dont have a gameplan to go by. And sometimes i feel lost as what to do out on the court. I feel that i have the potential to play a much better game.. im just not sure what my "weapon" should be
- If you have a simple key for a match...as in, getting lots of balls back...and it actually works...then you're way ahead of most people who come up with strategies that are as elegant as a chess match...but don't work when you have to do all that thinking while you're running around the court.

- Improve your skills, and you will have more choices. I would agree that you're about a 3.5, so take a look at the difference between 3.5s and 4.0s:

"3.5
You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident"

That's not all there is to it, but you get the joke...come up with better fundamentals and you'll be able to do more. You can have a Plan A based on your strengths, but you can also have Plans B and C if A doesn't work out.

- A style is not quite the same thing as your NTRP level, see the following thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=58284

...and also see what I said in this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...hlight=chooses