View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
omega4
Rookie

This phenomenon isn't endemic to tennis.

I see it in golf all the time. Beginners show up at a driving range or golf course with golf clubs that they bought off the shelf at a Dicks Sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy but haven't been properly fitted for.

The shafts might be too stiff or flexible, the lie angles might be too upright or flat, the grip size might be too big or small, or the swingweight might be totally off, etc.

In the end, they can't hit a little golf ball that's just sitting their on the ground or on a tee for the life of them. They get frustrated. They decide to never spend 4 to 5 hours on a round of golf ever again.

Golf, and tennis, need to do a better job as a whole educating beginners that their sports are NOT as simple as picking up a generic basketball or football and going out to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeespinmusic View Post
Please note, I'm not a coach or a pro,

But I see this time and time again where I am. Someone comes in to play, "Hi I'm__________ and I'm new and want to get into tennis for some fun and fitness... "

-they're welcomed to a friendly group
-they start to play
-They launch everything out the court on are bascially forced to just push everything...
-They're too embarrassed to borrow someone elses "properly strung" racquet
- They're too embarrased to keep playing or take up group coaching because of it (or sometimes financial reasons)

- Or they get injured because of their light, stiff racquet they got from their latest local store catologue...

-And the final result is that they never come back
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

These power technologies are ruining the game, average mary and joe don't want to spend money on restrings and super advanced coaching to use their latest poly setup. - They just want to play and have fun.

I hope one day the companies will realise this and start to make racquets lower powered and more flexible again -- Then people won't have to contantly restring with a poly just to stay in the game...

Any more thoughts?
omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote