Thread: 2013 APD Mods
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
El Zed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfchang View Post
No need for actual specs el zed, I certainly appreciate your comments but i don't think I'll ever get to 12.75 oz haha.

It's good to hear that bhb7 works well, I was wondering what tension would work well, and I certainly don't think it would be 50 for me.

As for weight placement, your lead spanned from 10 all the way to 2?

An I'm not exactly familiar with blu tack, you'll have to enlighten me.
I've used a wide variety of strings on my APDs (obviously my other racquets too) and 55/52 definitely feels "right" on the APDs. Not to sound like Goldilocks, but it's firm without being stiff and plush without being mushy - and it even sounds good. Whatever you string at, definitely recommend leaving a few lbs. between the mains and crosses...

As to lead placement, yes, from 10 to 2 on both edges of the frame (preferably with the 1/4 in. strips). First layer is full length, but you can ease up on subsequent layers to focus upon 12 o'clock if you're looking for a more polarized setup (which I find helps RHS, and derivatively spin). The more weight you put on this racquet, the more it rewards you - especially if you're a modern western grip/wind-shield wiper guy. Further, I think you'll be surprised how comfortable 12.5+ oz. feels on this racquet...

Blu Tack is an alternative to silicone. It's denser, almost like modeling clay or play-doh. You can form it how you want, and it's easily removable (unlike silicone). To me, this transforms the racquet. With Blu Tack, the APD feels close to my Pro Tours and noticeably better than some of the silicone-infused Head pro stocks that i've tried. Unwanted vibrations are eliminated, and you still maintain feel for touch (this frankly gives rise to my preference of the 2010 APD relative to the 2013). I'd venture to say that a handle full of blue tack, should get you to about 12 oz. strung.

Please let me know if you have any other questions; always happy to help.
El Zed is offline   Reply With Quote