View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvforty View Post
so I was curious about what if i let go the racket.

full service motion, with some knee bend, but no jumping.

2 finger + thumb grip, letting go at the same release point as when I release the serve...

in the air, racket also flips head over butt...
What do you mean by "same release point as when I release the serve"?

If your upward swing is correct you would release shortly after the big L (inverted L). At the big L, the arm would be nearly straight & vertical but the racket would still be about at a right angle to the arm (and somewhat parallel to the ground). The release would happen as the racket head moves upward from this position. The release point can vary on the upward swing to launch the racket at different angles. An early release during the upward swing would produce a very steep launch angle. A late release would result in a low launch angle.

Are you releasing without a forearm pronation? This is what I call a tomahawk or hatchet throw. This is the first racket throw that I do with my students. In this case the racket travels head over tail "on edge" -- as would happen when throwing an ax or a knife. We do a few throws at a 45 degree launch angle and then several throws at a 60 to 75 degree launch angle. The latter throws should promote a better racket head drop after the position.

Sampras 1st serve swing path:

After those throws, we then add forearm pronation. When released the racket moves thru the air a bit differently. It still tumbles head over tail but it also twists about its long axis (if we employ a full pronation prior to release). These throws are also executed a different launch angles. We then throw with various degree of pronation. We also employ various swing paths with these to simulate or approximate different types of spin serves.
SystemicAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote