View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #52
Centerforward71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFool View Post
That's what I've been saying for weeks. No sound ball-striker hits a shot, and thinks to themselves, "I will now supinate", during their stroke. It's a consequence of other things happening early in the stroke. That's why all these threads about how max supination and pronation and every other buzzword are the key to understanding the modern game are so counterproductive. When you're teaching someone to pronate on a serve, you don't even have to use the word pronation. You can have them throw a football and then mimic the release where the forearm and hand turn over. The guys that really pronate on serves aren't thinking at contact, ok time to pronate. It happens so dramatically because they have great fundamentals, like their shoulder turn and uncoiling which build the racket speed.
You are pretty correct but let me make a point.

Tennis as is golf and all sports with body motion is about kinematic sequences. I don't want to get overly scientific here but the pronation and supination are at the end of a sequence of other events leading up to it. At this point a correct sequence can allow a good player to over or under supinate/probate to achieve a desired effect. So to your answer while not wrong I will till you it's not 100%. I've played professional level sports and can tell you that you do manipulate as needed the pron/sup sequence at times and when needed. You cannot have the same supination for a flat 1HBH than for a loopy top spin one. That said there is a different kinematic sequence as well. Now do I consciously think of it? NO but your CNS tells your body to do so. Again if the kinematic sequence is wrong approaching the point of pro/sup then thinking of that as more or less will probably only enhance the previous error.

In summary worry about good grip, good footwork, good rotation to impact, good impact zone/timing and when you get there trust me your good enough to start over/under or natural pro/sup to get a desired effect on the ball.

On my 1HBH if I want to go sharp,cross court I start sequence earlier, hit a little earlier and to create a sharper angle I increase supination and upward stroke on the outside part of the ball. Now this happens by practice and subconscious effect when playing. There is no way I could think that in the middle of a point.

Hope this helps