View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #48
AR15
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Truth View Post
1) There is a relatively small percentage of people who take it too seriously, and who can make a match less fun for some people.
2) The vast majority want to win, and play fairly.
3) There is another small percentage who take league tennis less seriously than most. These people play for a different reason than most on their team. They may just want to get some exercise, or make new friends, and they don't really care about the match result. They feel that if they get along well with their opponent, that is a "win" for them. These people usually win less, because they don't really care about the result.

It may also depend somewhat on the level of play. At higher levels, people have been playing longer usually, and I see less bad behavior. It can still happen, but there are fewer players at the higher levels, and if you are a jerk to too many people, no one will want to play with you.
You don't have to act like a jerk to be taking your league tennis too seriously. I recently had an older player tell me that he had played for years and years, and sadly just realized that in all those years he really never got to know or develop friendships with the people he played with and against.

When I heard this, it made me think of all the times I played, and didn't take the time to really talk with and enjoy the people I was playing with. I'm making an effort to change this, by putting my tennis in perspective, and bringing more than just my tennis to the courts with me.
AR15 is offline   Reply With Quote