View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythomas View Post
My daughter currently uses a Wilson Pro Staff 6-1 100 " but she is getting continual wrist issues even though she really likes the racket. I have tried stringing it with natural gut with loose tension but it makes no difference . She has had the injury checked out and it is just inflammation no break. She has rested it a number of times but every time she hits it comes back. She hits with spin and comes to the net . Her coach doesn't think it's a technical issue with her strokes.
I m confused if she should change rackets and if so go heavier or lighter, head light or heavy and stiff or flexible. Any ideas or suggested rackets ? I believe the pro staff is about 10.7 strung.
I have a feeling her racket is not the major cause for her wrist pain. She might have a weak wrist and would need to strengthen her wrist with tubes or weights. Or her mechanics is not completely ideal. You may want to have another coach look at her mechanics when she volleys.

My son was complaining about pain in his wrist when he volleyed last summer. No wrist pain when he did everything else on the court. His coaches never said anything about his volley mechanics for years! So, I started my own investigation. This was what I found - when he volleyed, his racket and his forearm was forming an angle around 150 degrees. When I looked at pros in slow motion, the angle between the racket and forearm is usually maintained and it is rarely over 120 degrees. The wrist would be less stressed when volleying heavy passing shots if the racket is held more naturally. After he corrected the mechanics, his wrist paint disappeared and moreover, he could hit volley with more control and penetration. BTW quick feet, proper court positioning, and good anticipation would also minimize the situations that one has to stretch out to volley passing shots when the wrist is mostly stressed. Just hope it helps