View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
fuzz nation
Legend

As I see it, the two-handed return can be a very useful addition to the toolbox of any player who generally hits a one-handed backhand.

I rebuilt my ground game several years ago, including a one-handed backhand, but couldn't return hotter serves with anything more than a blocked slice. Against a slower serve, I usually have time to quickly set and fire a one-hander just fine, but the two-hander made perfect sense for producing an aggressive return as opponent's serves got faster. At least for me, it was a case of "why didn't I think of this sooner".

My one-hander is clearly my superior style of backhand, but it takes that extra tiny fraction of a second to set up and swing. I still block many returns of serve on my backhand wing, but some practice with the two-hander gave me the stronger option I had needed for a while. I also like the two-hander when I need to fight off a fast ball that gets in deep near my feet.

Since I also have a very reliable slice, I've been surprised that I haven't gotten too mixed up with all the backhand options to choose from out there. My one-hander is my default stroke though, and if I have to hit a different style of backhand, I usually know it right away. Get confident with every option and you ought to be able to use whatever you need from one shot to the next.
fuzz nation is offline   Reply With Quote