View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Amelie Mauresmo
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
I think Na is one of the few people who would rather play say Serena Williams in a slam final. Since she would feel no pressure, everyone would expect her to lose no matter how well she was playing going in, and she could swing from her heels which is when she plays her best. She still might lose, it is Serena after all, but she would be unlikely to be encumbered by nerves and choking. Even playing Sharapova in the final instead of the semis would have been a better situation for her. Someone like Azarenka I think while she respects and knows that she is a great player, she feels she is capable of easily overpowering (which she is) and that she should beat if she holds her sh1t together, and I think that makes things harder on her mentally just the way she tends to think.
Li Na does have the ability to beat anyone when the pressure isn't on her. Against Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Sharapova Li Na was the underdog no pressure and she won.

However, once there is pressure on Li Na like the final when many people thought she had a real chance to win she crumbles. Li made too many silly errors at crucial times. For instance, Li had a 3-1 lead to go up 4-1 why did she make the stupid swing volley shot she missed it by a mile! If Li had just let the ball drop she would of won the point. I knew from that game on that Azarenka was going to get into the match she was very fortunate to have won the first set 6-4. I think if Azarenka had gotten the match to 5-5 she would have won the match in straight sets.
Amelie Mauresmo is offline   Reply With Quote