View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
TennisCJC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFool View Post
This guy has some good articles. I think some people on the talk tennis forums are skimming his articles, picking out terminology, taking that terminology out of context, and misconstruing his points.

Here is a great quote from one of his articles on forehand technique:

"The vast majority of tennis players hit their heaviest topspin forehands by attempting a wide variety of body movements to create the stroke geometry associated with high-speed, high-spin forehands. The commonality of the topspin-amplifying technique/movements used by the vast majority of players is that these involve consciously manipulating the racquet hand and arm during the 100 or so milliseconds before impact.

These contrived movements commonly include such movements known as: “windshield-wipering”, ” wrist action”, “wrist rolling” or “wrist flipping”, “brushing up at impact”, “reverse finishing", etc. , etc., etc.. All of these movements involve highly conscious, and often last-second, timing-intensive racquet manipulation where required stroke consistency can only be achieved with an inordinate amount of practice time that’s only really available to serious competitive players.

Yet, these moves probably represent the most common methods for generating heavy topspin for the vast majority of recreational and competitive tennis players alike."

In that article, his point is, on a rally ball where you have time to prepare, you want to set your hitting arm structure and keep it relatively the same through impact and your contact zone. You aren't going to be able to hit consistent, sound rally balls if you're consciously trying to manipulate your racket hand and wipe over the ball.

A lot of people in here are confused about his use of the word supinate. If you read his articles, he is advocating that you set your hitting arm structure with a closed racket face in your backswing, because as you swing out to contact your racket face will naturally open. He is saying that everybody's racket face upens up more, the farther they reach forward. This is when the supination happens. It's a natural part of the forehand stroke as you swing forward and follow through. It's not a conscious action, that you have to force to add power to the stroke, or an extra accoutrement that you tack onto the end of the stroke.

All he is saying is that when you swing forward the racket face will open up. Players need to counteract this by having a closed racket face at some point in their backswing. He believes the most consistent, sound way to do this is with a backswing and transition to the forward swing, where you set your hitting arm structure early, with a closed racket face, and then maintain this hitting arm structure as your swing to contact. And he wants you to have a simple compact backswing, where the racket doesn't get too behind the other side of the body, via more elaborate contrived movements.
Who are you refering too - is there a link I missed?

The set the hitting arm structure early and keep it consistent to contact was taught by Vic Braden in the 70s. I agree this is a very good approach for a basic stroke.

I think the paragraph about "contrived wrist movement" (WW, wrist roll, brushing, ...) has some good points but I think a WW finish and hitting up (brushing) should be learned at the very beginning. In other words, I think the strokes we see from Federer and Nadal can be used as models for beginners all the way to world class. These are simple efficient strokes that provide a good margin of error due to the topspin and the long extension thru the hitting zone.

Also, Federer is "setting the hitting structure early" in my opinion. Notice how in frame 2 his wrist is laid back a bit. Nadal too in the same frame. I think most of the wrist "movement" in the stroke pattern is natural and not consious thought.
TennisCJC is offline   Reply With Quote