View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #42
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennismonkey View Post
i'm the guy who played cindysphinx's team the other night. we played #3 and won 6-3, 6-3.
Well, howdy! Good to hear from you again!
Quote:

i'm a recent bump up to 4.5 and with the exception of a pretty decent serve - i'm a very low end 4.5. my partner on the other hand is a 3.5 lady who is very tall and likes to rush the net. she could easily play 4.0 women's league.

our opponents were a 4.0 guy who was low to mid level 4.0 in my estimation. some solid groundstrokes and serve but very inconsistent and volleys were not a strength. his 4.0 partner was a low to mid level gal with lots of trickery and deception and good touch but very little power.

not a humble brag but my partner and i were not playing our best game - a lot of that was our opponents frustrating us with the guy giving us not exactly textbook shots and the girl giving us a lot of softball, moonball, slow speed stuff. but at no point did we feel we didn't have the match in hand.

my partner easily hit 75% or more of the shots with our opponents hitting as much as possible to her. to counter that we did a lot of planned and unplanned poaching. or i sat back at the baseline and waited for a lob to go over my partner's head and try and take a point over again from there.

and if it makes cindy feel any better, my teammate on court #2 is a very strong 4.5 (sadly not the strongest i've seen but he's up there) and he pretty much toys with me too when we practice. i think that's the circle of life.
Yes, but . . .

What about the idea that the rules should be changed so that 4.5s shouldn't be allowed to play 8.0 mixed?

As you say, you and your partner could have given up even fewer games and added out a beating.