View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
pvaudio
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFreddy View Post
Never heard of that rule. I just found that length worked for me. Remember hockey players always keep their knees bend and I do bend a little but not that much. I have not jumped since 2000. Dam armpit height that would be way to long for me to control. I jumped rope for twenty years so I got pretty good at making my own rope, length and style. I jump like boxers do but my rope is way to short to ever cross it. My rope rpm was at 120-130 if I remember right.
I'm 5'10 or so, and that equates to a rope slightly shorter than the standard 9ft speed rope. At the same time, I've been doing this for a while so I don't need that same amount of clearance. Regardless, having it 3feet shorter (18" from hip to armpit on both sides) would be impossible. You need this length to get a proper turning. As I was a boxer, I obviously jump like boxers do, and there's no way anything shorter could be used for a boxing rope workout.

http://sealgrinderpt.com/crossfittra...ump-rope.html/

Quote:
How to Size a Jump Rope Tip #1 Take jump rope in either hand and step on the center of the rope with both feet together.

How to Size a Jump Rope Tip #2 Pull the jump rope handles up and towards your arm pits.

How to Size a Jump Rope Tip #3 – The edge of the jump rope should come up to the base of your arm pits. If the handles dont reach your arm pits you need a longer rope. If the handles are up by your shoulders – you need a shorter rope.
http://www.jumprope.com/choosing_rope.php

Quote:
To determine the exact length for an individual, stand on the center of the cord.

The handle tips should reach your armpits. When you jump over the rope, the rope should just brush the floor beneath your feet. If the cord doesn't touch the floor, the rope is too short. If the cord hits the floor in front of your feet, the rope is too long and should be shortened. More advanced users will usually need a shorter rope than those indicated on the chart.
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote