View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #72
Angle Queen
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
When I talked about California and Wyoming, I wasn't talking about USTA or tennis.

I was talking more generally about how our system of government is set up so that big states cannot overpower little states (e.g. each state gets two Senators regardless of size). There are legitimate reasons to do things that way. If you don't, the minority will be outvoted again and again and they will eventually cease to exist or will revolt.

In tennis, USTA feels it is important to be a national organization. To do that, they have to preserve the interests of the smaller states/leagues.
Please be careful here. Earlier in this thread, I talked of designing a power structure similar to our US structure: a senate...yes, with two equal votes per state regardless of size...but also including a house...with voting powers divided by the sheer population numbers. A balance seems prudent.

Quote:
It sounds like they may have handled this correctly. VA is complaining but is not leaving. That suggests that USTA may have struck the right balance.
My point is...Virginia cannot leave. ANY change, including a redistricting or succession, must be approved by....you guessed it....MAS. Ain't happenin'.