View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #40
FrisbeeFool
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
Who are you refering too - is there a link I missed?

The set the hitting arm structure early and keep it consistent to contact was taught by Vic Braden in the 70s. I agree this is a very good approach for a basic stroke.

I think the paragraph about "contrived wrist movement" (WW, wrist roll, brushing, ...) has some good points but I think a WW finish and hitting up (brushing) should be learned at the very beginning. In other words, I think the strokes we see from Federer and Nadal can be used as models for beginners all the way to world class. These are simple efficient strokes that provide a good margin of error due to the topspin and the long extension thru the hitting zone.

Also, Federer is "setting the hitting structure early" in my opinion. Notice how in frame 2 his wrist is laid back a bit. Nadal too in the same frame. I think most of the wrist "movement" in the stroke pattern is natural and not consious thought.
The OP in this thread is referencing a tennis blog by a high performance coach that is popular with posters on here. It's called tennisspeed. You can google it. I quoted one of his blog posts. Agreed, about Vick Braden, in one of the blog's posts the author actually quotes a Vic Braden article from 1977 I think. The blog has a lot of great info on technique and stroke production. The problem is, their are people on this forum skimming the blog, misconstruing his points, and then coming in here starting threads with thread topics like maximum supination and pronation, the keys to the modern groundstrokes.

They key point to make to these people is that when someone is supinating or pronating, it's only one link in the kinetic chain and it's the consequence of something that went on earlier in the stroke like coiling and preparing properly with the type of backswing and follow-through the author describes in detail in his blog. It's not some magic "modern" phenomenon that you can just somehow add to your "traditional" stroke. People like Vic Braden were using these terms decades ago before there were internet message boards, or Roger Federer, or Rafa Nadal.

If you read his blog he has some good sections about how players like Lendl, Sampras,and Agassi were already doing certain things on their forehand that are now common on the modern ATP forehands we see on TV. The blogs author believes that players like Del Potro and Gasquet are stilling hitting these transitional type forehands. One of his big points is that players imitating the modern topspin shots they see on tv are employing a variety of elaborate contrived suspect techniques in order to imitate the modern strokes, and they would be better off simplifying their backswing, prep and follow through, without all the herky jerky contrivances if they want to achieve a true "modern" forehand. I think this is a point lost on many of the posters here.

A lot of the wegnerite posters obsessed with things like windshield wipering over the ball are citing his blog and I can only conclude they haven't put much effort into reading his blog.

A huge point he makes is building consistent shots that don't break down. And then you have posters on here who have maybe skimmed his articles talking about how Sampras is part of the traditional game, don't be like him, maximize the supination on your shots by windshield-wipering. Frankly, it's shocking how bad some peoples reading comprehension is.

Last edited by FrisbeeFool : 02-06-2013 at 02:21 PM.
FrisbeeFool is offline   Reply With Quote