View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #4967
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Ashaway Dynamite Tough 16.

I strung this up at 50 pounds ignoring the recommendation to string 10-15% lower than normal nylon strings. The string is very rough so weaving crosses was a bit of a chore.

Tension it is strung: 50 pounds on an electronic machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 50 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 18
Power (or lack there of): Medium powered multi
Feel: Above average feel
Tension maintenance: Final tension loss according to RacquetTune was 11.1%.
Price: $12.00, $109 for a half reel
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is certainly a whole different animal of a string. It felt tight at first but really loosened up and played well at the end.

Serve/Return of Serve: My serve was great with this string. I was almost hitting 2 first serves because I felt so confident with it. Returns were about average.

Strokes: Not as much spin as I was expecting considering the rough coating. My forehand really came alive the last set with this string. Everything else was about average.

Volleys: Just average here.

Touch shots: My drop shots were not great with this string.

Softness: One of the stiffest multis I've used. I should have listened to the lower tension recommendation from Ashaway which I'm sure would have helped.

Tension: I should have listened to the lower tension recommendation from Ashaway and maybe gone with 45 pounds.

Durability: Only 3 singles sets and 3 doubles sets. Not great.

Movement: String movement was about normal for a multi meaning it moves quite a bit. Because of the roughness, it is hard to straighten the strings.

Conclusion: This is a very unique string. It feels like a poly out of the package but plays a little softer. I would not recommend it for people with arm problems or string breakers.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote