View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #49
cknobman
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Mmmm, I think I have to disagree.

First, let's compare apples to apples. Let's assume we are comparing a high 4.0 guy to a high 4.5 guy. My partner and I are 4.0s.

There is simply a world of difference between the high 4.0 guy and the high 4.5 guy. The 4.5 guy will dominate everything. He will hold his serve at love. He will men*ace us at net so we cannot get to his partner when she serves. Meanwhile, his partner can certainly return my serve, and she will block a few of my partner's serves back.

Bottom line: We stand no chance. In all of the mixed matches I have played, I have never taken a set off of a 4.5M/3.5F pair. Against 4.0/4.0 pairs, I have some hard-fought wins.

Sure, the line between 4.0 and 4.5 guys is arbitrary. But once you let 4.5 guys in, you have to let all of them in -- even the ones who are close to 5.0.

There is really no justification for that.
Cindy, your still focusing on the guy which is not the point.

Of course the 4.0 guy is most likely not ever going to beat out the 4.5 guy but that is beside the point.

Its all about dominating the woman. A 4.5 guy wont have problems with a 4.0 guys serve but a 3.5 woman sure will so the 4.0 guy should still have a really good chance of holding serve. Then it all boils down to who can break the womans serve. It is much easier to break a 3.5 womans serve than a 4.0 (generally speaking).

If the 4.0 man is worth half his salt and a 4.0 woman is decent as well they should not have a lot of trouble returning a 3.5 womans serve out of reach of the 4.5 male at the net.

The times you run into trouble are when you have a 4.0/4.0 combo where the woman is a low 4.0 facing off against a 4.5/3.5 combo where the woman is really a 4.0. In this situation you reach a parity between the women and then the 4.0/4.0 combo is at a disadvantage because the 4.5 male can dominate the 4.0 male.