View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
julian
Hall Of Fame

Default The definition again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildVolley View Post
It would help then if you'd tell us what you are talking about.

"Pat-the-dog" as it has been traditionally used on these boards (meaning for years of discussion, probably at least 5-years) is Bungalo Bill's description. It is the move after the unit turn in which the player presses out at the end of the backswing and thereby closes the racket face to the court during the transition phase at the start of the movement. So in other words, "pat-the-dog" as though you are turning your palm down and extending your arm to pat a large dog on the head is different than the standard WTA-type stroke in which you allow the racket head to lag back behind the shoulders.

I wasn't aware that it was also being used as a term for closing the racket after/or at contact.
1.There is a definition #1:
---->
"Pat the dog is a backswing position which is mostly a result of pronation in the backswing which closes the racquet face (to lesser or greater degree). " by CHICO 9166

2.It is taken literally from post#21

3.There is a variation of defintion#1
If you pronate in the backswing then you pat a dog

4.OP created problems by himself/herself by phrasing HIS/HER POST as follows:
"notice that the Big 4 and more don't apply PTD to their BH like they do on their FH. It's just odd to me since you hear so much about the 2HBH being a opposite handed FH with a guide. I never really bought into that"

It is a classic example of making statements about the property X WITHOUT defining the property X

5.It is generally believed that Djokovic follows BOTH defintion #1 and the variation of the definition #1
in the case of HIS BACKHAND.Please see the FIRST LINK of my post #28
So I disagree with OP that "Djokovic DOES NOT pat the dog"

6.The same applies for Nadal in the case of HIS BACKHAND

7.Limiting the discussion to the CLOSED or NEUTRAL STANCE is possible but a mistake IMHO in the case of
BACKHAND.

8.There is disagreement between coaches which WTA players "pat the dog" and "which do NOT"
The banner examples are Kuznetsova,Stosur and Li NA

9.I went through a similar pain at tennisplayer.net
Regards,
Julian W.Miellniczuk

Last edited by julian : 02-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote