View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #103
Fintft
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintft View Post
Yes, I read this tip from him in the "Ask Nick" column at tennis.com around last year - he said that "a weak second serve was the biggest flaw at club level" (I paraphrase, can't find that article anymore). I may be creatively applying his broader strategy, of course...
Found it:

"The second serve hurts recreational players more than any other stroke in the game"

__________________________________________________ __
1. Second Serve:
The second serve hurts recreational players more than any other stroke in the game. Often they can hit a good first serve, one that wins them easy points or at least gives them time to set up for the next shot. And then the second serve comes, slowly over the net, waiting to be destroyed. The further away from the professional ranks you get, the bigger the gap between the first and second serve. The No. 1 thing you can do to improve your game is to close that gap. It won't be easy, and it will take not only a lot of practice, but a lot of frustration and disappointment during matches. It's one thing to improve your second serve on the practice court, and another to have the confidence to hit it during a match. It will be worth the investment, though. These two drills will get you going in the right direction.
------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tennisopolis.com/forum/topics...ource=activity