View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
August
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
I think an international 2 week competition hosted at a new country each year would have merit. Like the World Cup format with divisional round robin play to see who gets to the semi/final single elimination round. Probably need to go to 3 match tie too with 2 singles and 1 doubles. 16 teams compete with maybe top 14 teams of this year's tourney getting a return invitation for next year and 2 slots held open for qualifiers to fill. Qualifiers would play before the final tourney to win 1 of the 2 open slots.

This would be fun - I would attend especially if it draws top players and it might due to condensed time frame. Period after USO and before WTF would be the most likely fit.
If you meant FIFA World Cup, you can't compare DC to it. One thing that makes FIFA World Cup so big compared to e.g. Davis Cup is football is a team sport. In football, it's about which team is best. In tennis, it's not about teams but about which player is best. Even if you had DC at a predetermined place, I could see more people travelling to slams than to Davis Cup, I think even WTF would have more spectators. So, I don't think a DC over two weeks is would be a good format.
August is offline   Reply With Quote