View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #84
NadalAgassi

Valid points but personally I considered Djokovic (along with an active Nadal) the one(s) to beat even when Federer retook #1, similarily how I always considered Serena the one to beat in the last year even though Azarenka was ranked #1. JMO. The bookies obviously did too, as Djokovic was the bookies favorite for the 2012 U.S Open, 2013 Australian Open, 2013 Wimbledon, and Nadal the #2 favorite for the 2012 U.S Open, 2013 Australian Open, and favorite for the 2013 French, even while Federer had retaken #1 (Murray passed Nadal for the bookies #2 favorite for the non French 2013 slams after his U.S Open win, dropping Federer down to #4 for most of the 2013 slams, despite still being ranked #1 at that point). Federer would have had to win a 2nd slam to convince me otherwise (just as Azarenka would have had to beat Serena in the U.S Open final to win her 2nd slam of the year to convince me otherwise amongst the women). Obviously Federer had the ranking for awhile, and others are free to disagree with me on that. Federer had the results in late 2011-mid 2012 to justify his #1 ranking and deserved it, just as by years end Djokovic clearly had the best 2012 and deserved ending it at #1, but I still mantain other than the WTF most top players would rather have to go through Olderer than Nadal to win any major event.

Last edited by NadalAgassi : 02-07-2013 at 07:18 PM.