View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #50
Amelie Mauresmo
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_crosscourt View Post
Well if he's so bright, why hasn't he learned to speak English fluently like the rest of the Big Three for whom English is also not their mother tongue?

In fact, forget it, I still maintain that the only way you know how bright someone is is when you give him a speed math/IQ test and see how well he does.
I can't believe I am defending Nadal but why should Nadal have to learn English anyway? Why don't more people learn to speak his native languages Spanish and Catalan? There is a lot of arrogance in the English language world that everybody has to learn to speak English. Some people don't want to learn English or choose not to.

Nadal's English isn't the best but I can understand him when he speaks English it has improved a lot.

Nadal is a smart guy it just makes sense that he of course is more articulate in languages where he is more proficient such as Spanish or Catalan.

Not everybody is like an Arantxa Sanchez Vicario she can speak five languages fluently or a Roger Federer who can speak three languages fluently.

Remember, Spanish is one of the most spoken languages on the planet. Millions of people speak Spanish.

Also, Nadal speaks Catalan, which is another language that is independent from Spanish. In Spain right now, there is a region called Catalonia which wants to separate from the rest of Spain.
Amelie Mauresmo is offline   Reply With Quote