View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #78
JRstriker12
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to JRstriker12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
OMG...I would LOVE this! I'm very tired of celebrating a successful season by having to spend $ and time to travel to Huntington to play a post season tournament. Despite there being a majority of players in NOVA, not one post season tournament is held up here. Some players had a big talk with some of the officials at Tri-Sectionals a few weeks ago, and while they agree, it seems we are powerless.

As I mentioned to Cindy, I *love* playing MD districts, because I actually get to stay at home and sleep in my own bed. But for VA, I never get to do that, no matter which tournament it is.

North/South would make so much sense though...with NOVA, Loudoun, Shenandoah in North; and Richmond, VA Beach, Charlottesville, and a few other areas in there.

VA districts is a brutal tournament, too...we have to go through more just to get out of our state than some teams have to do to go to Nationals. And that disparity was very well reflected at Nationals this year.

And, while you guys were talking about analogies with the government, the one that I thought most appropriate is another based on population...electoral votes. Not every state has the same amount, because not every state has the same population. While I would not want to see any minority mistreated, I don't see how VA separating itself would hurt MD and DC...unless they need VA way more than some seem willing to admit.

Like Striker, I think it will be interesting to see how, if any, effect this has on us schmucks actually on the courts.
Granted, I only made it to VA beach once for districts (was it districts? - or whatever playoff they held down there) - it was a fun excuse for a trip (though the weather was horrible on the days we had to play - non stop rain).

But for all you USTA junkies, I can see how making that sort of trip could wear thin each year.