View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
OHBH
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmac View Post
Just read/watched the TW review on the new Wilson 99s. The first thing I thought of was the infamous spaghetti racquet.

As Chris noted, he's hitting shots he doesn't own and is amazed it's even legal.
Me too.

I'm not sure but believe that both golf and baseball have pretty strict rules when it comes to these things. Tennis has a size rule (I think) but little else.

So where is this going? Can the manufacturers actually get within a stings width of making a racket that performs like the spaghetti did before somethings done?

The string technology has already done enough (good or bad, your call). Are we now going to get frames made specifically for getting the most out of those strings?
Oversize graphite rackets and poly strings have already exceeded the amount of RPMs first observed with the original spaghetti strung woodies of old. It was banned because they didn't want to see the type of modern baseline game that we have now. Granted, the difference between the 99S and other modern rackets is not anywhere near the jump between woodies and spaghetti strung woodies it is certainly a step in the wrong direction.
OHBH is offline   Reply With Quote