View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #35
tennis_pro
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudwell View Post
I just don't see how you can make that kind of claim. People break through all the time. Established players get injured or lose their desire. Look at McEnroe or Wilander. Seven slams apiece, amazing players, and they totally lost it after their respective best years, You'd have been crazy to predict McEnroe would win no more slams after 1984 or Wilander no more after 1988, and yet it happened. Who expected Borg to retire outright at the peak of his game? Murray and Djokovic look amazing right now - and they are amazing - but if the history of tennis has taught us anything, it's that that time is fleeting. Their games will fall, new guys will come up. I don't know who. Janowicz looks pretty damn good. Del Potro could still get back to his 2009 form. Tsonga and Berdych are always big threats at slams. It's just impossible to say. You project too far into the future based on the form and condition of players right now.
I always bring this up in discussions alike:
1) Who said after the 2007 season that Federer was barely gonna win 1 major?
2) Who predicted Nadal to fall after the 2009 AO?
3) Who thought that Federer was going to dominate again after the 2010 AO?
4) Did any single Djokovic fan in his wildest dreams predict Djokovic to go 41-0 or something at the start of 2011 and absolutely destroy the first 9 months of the season?
5) Who thought we were gonna see 4 different major champions in 2012?