View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #50
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by corners View Post
Seems convergent too. But...

Any risk of frame damage with omitting crosses and mains?
I don't think this makes much difference to the stresses on the frame. There is no dramatic stress differential like in the Steam 99s, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corners View Post
Speaking of frame flex in various planes, what do you make of Yonex's new approach with their 3D Vector shafts? Their marketing says it's meant to improve "face stability", but I wonder what it is really all about. They definitely seem to have moved away from their old MO of stiff head/flexible throat hinge.
Interesting. They seem mostly concerned with torsional stability. The most efficient way to increase torsional stability would be to increase beam width in the throat. But increased beam width stiffens the frame and reduces spin. I think the main effect of the 3D Vector shaft is to increase throat stiffness in the plane of the stringbed, just as the AeroPro Drive throat design or POG crossbar does. So it probably does increase spin a bit.

One thing I noticed about my O3 Tour OS frames (which have only 18mm beam in the throat), is that it has terribly torsion stability on volleys (but very spin-friendly). It seems to twist in my hand even with lots of weight at 3 and 9. My RDS001mp had the same issue, almost as bad.

Last edited by travlerajm : 02-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.
travlerajm is offline   Reply With Quote