View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #43
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese View Post
Yes, on many of those shots he is to some degree. I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying that they're falling backwards and are off balance. What I'm saying is that they're shifting their weight forwards towards the ball, then once they come to contact they accelerate their racket head as fast as possible. In order to do this, they pull their arm back and to the left. Depending on how much spin vs pace they want to put on the ball and their forward momentum at contact, they'll move back to a different degree. Sometimes it shifts their weight, sometimes it doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...twpu--0#t=172s

This is a great example. Fed is finishing into the court, but he's still pulling back and to the left to get maximum racket head acceleration.
I don't have a problem with pulling the arm to the left or pulling it across. But you are saying 'back and to the left'. And I thought we were talking about weight transfer?

I don't agree with pulling anything 'back'. I see fed's body flying forward through the ball and his arm rotating around his body as he does a ww fh.

How can you tell the difference between 'pulling his arm back' and his arm just finishing around the body? Where do you see evidence of an actual pulling 'back'?

Here's the fed sequence. Weight going forward. arm extension forward. ww finish across the body. Oscar's student at the end pulling back. no arm extension since he's pulling back. off balance. Does not look similar.

Last edited by Cheetah : 02-10-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote