View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #51
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlerajm View Post
I don't think this makes much difference to the stresses on the frame. There is no dramatic stress differential like in the Steam 99s, for example.

Interesting. They seem mostly concerned with torsional stability. The most efficient way to increase torsional stability would be to increase beam width in the throat. But increased beam width stiffens the frame and reduces spin. I think the main effect of the 3D Vector shaft is to increase throat stiffness in the plane of the stringbed, just as the AeroPro Drive throat design or POG crossbar does. So it probably does increase spin a bit.
You might be right. Aside from the grooves, all the VCores have noticeably thicker-beamed throats, in the plane of the stringbed, compared to Yonex's previous lines. Also, the introduction of the 3D Vector shaft coincided with an almost wholesale switch from 16x19 to 16x20. I wonder if they felt the new shafts granted enough spin to warrant prioritizing control over spin with the string pattern.

Quote:
One thing I noticed about my O3 Tour OS frames (which have only 18mm beam in the throat), is that it has terribly torsion stability on volleys (but very spin-friendly). It seems to twist in my hand even with lots of weight at 3 and 9. My RDS001mp had the same issue, almost as bad.
Hmm, I've been looking at some older Yonex frames lately. Read a lot of reviews about the RDS 002 Tour, which looks very nice on paper, but quite a few posters described it as erratic on groundies. I wonder if it shared the 001 MP's torsional instability. Recently I've been leaning toward thinking that frame stiffness is relatively unimportant, in any plane. Maybe I'm wrong. Yonex certainly seems to be beefing up their beams, across their entire line, and from tip to butt.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote