View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
o0lunatik
Rookie

Default Amplifeel 360 = basalt extended shaft w/ silicon

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I recently came across an intriguing find. I recently purchased two Wilson Steam 99 (16x1 racquets. I normally play with racquets of 27.25" in length and slightly under 12 oz and some silicon for additional dampening, so I started to customize the two racquets according to the specs that I like. I removed the buttcap and added 1/4" of bolsa wood to extend the length of my racquets, and lo and behold, there were some silicon already in the middle of the inner handle of each of my racquets.

I had played with the Steam 99S prior to my purchase and did really like the dampened feel of the Amplifeel 360 which lead me to the Steam 99 (reg) for a tighter string pattern. But after some thoughts, I am wondering if the Amplifeel tech is nothing more than an idea taken from previous customizers and racquet makers who had already used silicon in their handles. I am pretty sure that the extended basalt handle plays some part in the whole feel of the racquet, so some credit there to Wilson.
o0lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote