View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
Mongolmike
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Justice View Post
The bottom line with this frame appears to be......if the strings are not notching, then this frame is probably not giving you the extra spin (as the mains arent constantly sliding back and forth.). I think the best we can do is limit friction between strings to extend stringbed life.

Now, if one hits flatter, then such notching is not going to be as bad. But, as many have posted, this frame is probably not a good fit for a flat hitter. Personally, I cant flatten a ball out to save my life so this frame is a good fit.
Using the 105s, my strings are noticably notched after about 2 hours play, and after 4-6 hours they look like they could pop anytime. And the deeper they are notched, of course the harder they are to manually move the strings out of the notch to inspect.

I wonder if this deeper notching is part of the launch problem... if during a match with deeply notched strings, if you take an easier swing or a defensive swing without using a lot of topspin... maybe the strings are "locked" in the notch, giving a trampoline effect rather than the impact energy being put into moving the strings along out of place so they snap back? Newly strung un-notched strings slide easily, heavily notched strings do not slide without sufficient topspin applied?
Mongolmike is offline   Reply With Quote