View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
Buford T Justice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongolmike View Post
Using the 105s, my strings are noticably notched after about 2 hours play, and after 4-6 hours they look like they could pop anytime. And the deeper they are notched, of course the harder they are to manually move the strings out of the notch to inspect.

I wonder if this deeper notching is part of the launch problem... if during a match with deeply notched strings, if you take an easier swing or a defensive swing without using a lot of topspin... maybe the strings are "locked" in the notch, giving a trampoline effect rather than the impact energy being put into moving the strings along out of place so they snap back? Newly strung un-notched strings slide easily, heavily notched strings do not slide without sufficient topspin applied?
The mains stay notched onto the crosses such that the crosses don't move up or down. I don't seem to notice any ill effects from this, but when the mains do not slide back along their notches to the normal neutral position, it seems like the balls start going long, presumably because they have less topspin to bring them down. Who knows......
Buford T Justice is offline   Reply With Quote