View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
fuzz nation
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventeenth street View Post
i'm fairly certain flex is measured at the throat and only at the throat. and the c10 pro is said to have a very flexy hoop, which is probably why it plays softer than the 63 ra measurement
Pretty sure that this is the reason that the C10 seems to produce a softer ride than its actual numbers.

I've used these Volkls for several years along with a couple other frames along the way, including the Yonex RD Ti-80. The Yonex has a lower flex rating (maybe 60) along with some extra heft, but that racquet plays more harsh for me compared with my C10's, even when both are set up with the same syn. gut and tensioned at a couple lbs. above their mid-range.

When the hoop has some give to it, that seems to reduce a lot of that shock that typically happens when I catch the ball further up the string bed (toward the top of the hoop). That hoop flex gives the C10 a bit of a unique personality, but nothing I'd classify as a character flaw. They're just a little "tip dead". Some racquets, including a couple of Yonex frames I've used, can produce a crisp, firm feel along with soft frame performance when much of their flex is in the throat.

Contrasting my C10's against my old 6.1 Classics, the Volkls gave me an instant boost in confidence around the baseline because their general response at contact was a bit more mellow and consistent. They gave me much more of a license to use a natural full swing without spraying the ball. I also hit a one-handed backhand and slice more than occasionally. Even with a snug set of syn. gut, my C10's simply do not hurt my arm.

My 6.1 Classics were fantastic performers in a serve & volley role, but I've adjusted over time so that I can also take my C10's to the net with a lot of confidence - and probably get better touch and feel with them, too. Those old ProStaffs with their stiffness, extra head-light balance, and 12.8 oz. heft were simply built to volley and serve with a lot of authority. While the C10's don't seem to have any superlatives for me aside from their comfort, they also have no significant weaknesses for me.

You may find that it takes more than one stringing to get your C10 feeling right for you - this isn't rare. This racquet can also be tuned rather easily with a little lead tape. I've tried a touch of 3/9 o'clock lead on my hoops in the past, but now I only add some lead to the handles of my Volkls to give them the 9 or 10 points HL balance that I prefer. Power, spin potential, feel, control, etc. all seem to be there as long as I swing them right. It took a while to get to know this racquet, but it's absolutely been worth it for me.

Just in case the C10 feels a little too foreign or uncooperative for you after a while, you might want to get a try with their Organix 10. Apparently that one also has some Volkl softness, but some players relate well to its firmer feel.
fuzz nation is offline   Reply With Quote