Ok, definitely going to look into a starting clamp. But, because I'm curious, can you start crosses the same way YUlitle starts the mains (two strings pulled at the same time) and use a base clamp where Irvin uses a starting clamp 7:20 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81W09ntiYO8
(the whole stringing crosses process starts at 6:50)?
Instead of using a starting clamp to hold the first cross's tension from outside the frame, can the base clamp that's not holding the second cross (after the first and second crosses are pulled at the same time) be clamped where the starting clamp is in the video (but inside the frame obviously)? Then when you pull tension on just the second main, you can move the base clamp that's on the far side of the second main to the side where the string is being pulled from and clamp it. Then you can go down the rest of the crosses just using that one clamp while the other base clamp is still on the first cross. When you get far enough down and want to tie the first cross, you can pull tension on it and release then reuse that same base clamp and then tie off (since a base clamp ends up in that position anyway).
So step by step, it's:
1. Pull tension on the 1st and 2nd crosses simultaneously. .
2. Use a base clamp to hold the 2nd cross near the far grommet and release tension.
3. Pull tension on the 1st cross.
4. Use the other base clamp to hold the 1st cross near the close grommet and release tension.
5. Pull tension on the 2nd cross.
6. Release and reuse the base clamp that's on the 2nd cross to hold the 2nd cross near the close grommet and release tension.
7. Pull tension on the 3rd cross.
8. Use the 2nd cross's base clamp to hold the 3rd cross near the close grommet and release tension.
9. Pull tension on the 4th cross.
10. Use the 3rd cross's base clamp to hold the 4th cross near the close grommet and release tension.
11. Follow this pattern until you want to tie the 1st cross.
12. Pull tension on the 1st cross.
13. Release and reuse the base clamp that's on the 1st cross to clamp the 1st cross in the same area as it's been the entire time thus far.
14. Tie off the 1st cross
15. Continue stringing crosses from where you left off, and now you have both base clamps to work with.
Will this work?