View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #44
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post
Yea, when you are talking about pushing a brick, it doesn't matter which side is down, but I can't imagine a rectangular string not locking up, for a variety of reasons. The first of which is that when the ball hits the corner of the rectangle, the opposite corner will dig in and the ball will exert a torque on the string, trying to roll it up on edge, which will further displace the cross strings increasing the normal.

I would love to try a set, and see what it does, for science if nothing else. Maybe I am totally wrong and the stuff works. Wouldn't be the first time.

J
The Coefficient of Friction tests done by TWU used actual strings in a rig designed to simulate in-racquet conditions to some extent, so the very low CoF evidenced can be counted upon. Your point about the possibility of digging in at the corners could be a good one, but these are not sharp corners - the string is not a perfect rectangle. Tourbite has a square cross-section and by all accounts it slides and snaps back marvelously. And we're talking about using it in the crosses, where it is held flat by the mains, so any tendency to roll over would be greatly reduced; and in the crosses the ball would almost always be sliding along the length of the string, rather than catching it on the edge. Also, Polymaster is a flat ribbon that is thinner than a circular string, so the separation between the mains and the crosses, and thus the angle of the weave, would be less acute than usual, which should further reduce interstring friction.

I don't know either, as I haven't tried it. This is just theorizing. A couple people around here have tried it with gut mains and the reports have been positive. I've got a couple sets coming. The logic regarding diffused interstring friction-generated heat seems sound to me.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote