View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #58
TheLambsheadrep
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
I must commend you on your effort but I must admit I didn't read it. If I were using flying clamp I would use a starting knot to start my crosses. More often than not you are going to lose a lot of tension tying off the top and bottom crosses using a flying clamp. Here is what I would try. Use a starting knot and run in the first two crosses leaving a loop large enough between the first and second cross to tension the top cross. Tension the top cross but don't clamp it. Tis will get some stretch out of the top cross if you leave the tensioner on a few seconds. Then tension the second cross double pulling the top two crosses and clamp.
This sounds similar to the end of your Cross Starting Knot video, where you make the knot and then pull the 1st cross. What you're saying above is do that but then do a double pull and then clamp, noted.

What I was writing about is not using floating clamps, but fixed clamps (I was saying base clamps). I do not own any floating clamps or starting clamps yet, so I was seeing if the method I posted above would allow me to do the cross strings without additional clamps and without risking the starting knot damaging/pulling into the grommet by getting more crosses done first (which, from what I'm reading on the forum, is why people use the starting clamps).

Last edited by TheLambsheadrep : 02-12-2013 at 09:21 AM.
TheLambsheadrep is offline   Reply With Quote