View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #62
sundaypunch
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
you may be right. This racket requires more skill than you would think to use properly. Because of the high power and extremely open pattern and high launch angle, if you don't take a full proper swing with the right amount of high to low you can easily launch balls long and out of bounds.I am definitely aware of how some rackets are fairly easy to rally with and hit casually with and that is why I always test rackets competitively against a quality opponent or 2 before I make any decisions.With the 99s i have had so many very good outings with it but I've also been inconsistent with it at the same time. I may play for several games where I hit lights out and then will be several games where I have a lot of trouble hitting the ball out and I make a lot more unforced errors than I normally do.
This is exactly what I found with the racquet. My daughter also used it in some USTA matches. She played very well with it at times but was not consistent. It was exactly because of the bolded part above. Most racquets will do this when you get tentative but it is magnified with the 99s.

It makes sense when you think about it. The extreme open pattern really does require an aggressive, topspin oriented stroke to have any control.
sundaypunch is offline   Reply With Quote