View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
IdrinkYourMilkshake
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrograde View Post
Looks like TT didn't like that relay link but I figured out it was pointing to the bay and fixed the link ... they were 12VDC 30A Tyco 5-pin automotive SPDT relays, part number V23234-A1001-X036.

Great photo. I can see the relays on the right and the remote board on the left plus your orange wires.

Can you tell me what happens when the big rocker is flipped on and what the silver toggle switch does when it's flipped on? I'm trying to figure out how you get your 4 functions:

Motors on/off, Ball Feed on/off, Oscillate on/off, One-shot ball feed

I'm guessing turning on the big rocker causes motors to go on and ball feed to go on (the two circuits you mentioned?). If yes, did you wire the remote relays in series or in parallel with the rocker? In other words, does the rocker need to be turned on for the remote to work (series connection) or can the remote and rocker work independent of each other (parallel connection).

Similar question for Oscillate ... did you wire the remote's relay in series or in parallel with the Sweep toggle switch? In other words, for the remote to control oscillate, does the Sweep toggle switch also need to be flipped on?
On the big rocker, one of the circuits has large gauge wires, presumably for the motors. The other circuit is definitely lower amp draw, with small gauge to power the rest of the board. I'm sure it didn't need a large relay on the one circuit, but I went with it. You can follow the orange wire around to a relay from the remote board terminal, that controls the solenoid for the relays, the second black relay has 2 solenoid wires from that point, so they both turn on at the same time. That's why a couple wires appear to tie the two relays together. They both turn on simultaneously and connect the two circuits the same way the rocker is wired, but two separate isolated circuits. This leaves the rocker alone to work by itself if need be.
This picture was taken last summer and predates anything done today. I found out I had a bad optical sensor for my one shot ball feed, so I didn't get that put in, but it's very possible. The sensor is a kit from Velleman or you can google optical relay for some other 12v sensor. I was going to use an optical sensor because I don't have confidence in a switch holding up long term to getting whacked every time a ball drops into the ramp.
The 12v remote board relays just interrupt one of the wires running to the ball hopper motor and oscillate motor. This picture doesn't show that. Very straightforward. Series connections for everything.
IdrinkYourMilkshake is offline   Reply With Quote