View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
^^^Does that not answer a question which hasn't been asked? That is "how should you practice for optimal development" as opposed to the original contention that "Practicing your strengths is more important than working on your flaws"?
They're linked in some way. If both skills are sufficiently similar, improving your strengths, also improve your weaknesses and vice-versa... It some way, hitting any stroke makes you a better player, overall, provided that it challenges you sufficiently. However, if you're interpreting the issue differently, thinking "which yields the greatest game-payoff", my post does seem to be a bit out of context.

Thinking about gains and losses, my answer would be that the question is not very relevant because the ideal solution will vary too much depending on the context. You have to discount the costs of "consistently weak" weaknesses from the rewards of improved weapons, with each of these shots affecting the game differently depending on many variables... How many solutions do we have to compare here, how many situations to take into account and how many combinations of weapons and weaknesses can we imagine?

I doubt that you can conclusively state "weaknesses first" or "strengths first" for every player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
On a side not, was Vygotski's ZPD theory based on cognitive development in children?
The beauty of it is that it holds true all the time, for every skill set and every person. You can apply it to all four developmental spheres: physical, cognitive, emotional and social. It always works.