View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #564
Smasher08
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Just checking in. After using a full bed of focus hex soft 18g for awhile at 53/51 I have just strung vs 16g in my mains at 54 and msv focus hex 18g soft at 50 in the crosses. I'll have playtest results shortly. Im trying to go lower and lower tension wise from your guys' advice.
Looking forward to it. Like I just mentioned in my post above, you may have to tweak your strokes in order to generate more spin, but if you're willing to do that you'll probably progress more.

In all honesty, as you develop as a player you'll need to have a few gears. Good players probably have two: one where they'll almost never miss (ie at two thirds to three quarters pace), and one where they hit harder and can make the shot at least 70% of the time. Very good players will have three (an array of touch shots). Top players will have four or more (including extreme spin, looping, chip and trick shots) and their highest gear will have blazing speed (ie groundies of 90mph+).

So feel free to experiment with tensions and see how loose you can go. The benefits are more pace and spin with less effort, which will hopefully translate into more success in matches.

Last edited by Smasher08 : 02-16-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Smasher08 is offline   Reply With Quote