View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
TheFifthSet
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90's Clay View Post
Sampras didn't need to consistently break per set. He just needed the one break to win the set since it was so difficult to break him.

I was going by the level that Pete attained in the 1999 wimbledon final, which was the highest level Ive ever seen from a player. Moreso, then any matches I've seen from Fed level wise

1999 Wimbledon final Sampras blows Any Fed you got off the court.
Sampras had plenty better performances than that final, which is overrated. agassi got 44% of his first serves in that day. If Sampras was in such killer form, he would be able to break him MORE than 3 times in 15 return games, regardless of how comfortable he was on serve. He'd be able to do it in his sleep considering how well he was supposedly playing, and given how poorly Dre was serving. I think if Fed was having a good serving day he'd have an excellent chance versus this Sampras. Moreover, although he was characteristically dominant on the first serve, Pete lost more points on his second serve than he won. Pretty tame for such a legendary display.

I've seen the match plenty of times and while it was a good/great performance, it was nowhere near the pinnacle of tennis excellence.

Last edited by TheFifthSet : 02-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
TheFifthSet is offline   Reply With Quote