View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #47
Cup8489
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthSet View Post
Well I definitely don't think it was the unanimous best serve of all time, heck it MIGHT not even be top 5, but it was definitely an all-time great serve. He's third in first serve points won all-time, something like 3rd-4th on pct% of service games won, and was only broken 4 times in 7 Wimbledon finals. It might be a tad overrated but it is still in the running for greatest serve of all time. It would be a tough ask for Federer or for anybody. If they're both at the top of their games its foolish to think either would blow the other off the court. That's simply nonsensical.

But you may be right, the way some people talk about Sampras, its as if his serve NEVER wilted, it was NEVER broken etc etc.
I agree with your post. I mean, realistically.. Roddick's serve, as a standalone shot, had very similar numbers up until the last year of his career (and we all know that he's admitted to major shoulder issues in that year)

but look at the ease with which Federer handled the Roddick serve, and almost every big serve in his prime. Only the very biggest serves for pace could really do anything to him, and only if they were hitting their spots.

He's never had trouble with the Sampras serve in any of the times they've played..
I'm just saying, if he had a day like that AO 2007 semi... Sampras wouldn't get out of trouble very easily with his serve, and I doubt he'd match Roger on the ground. and with the way Fed was passign that day, Sampras would struggle at net as well.