View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #48
TheFifthSet
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I agree with your post. I mean, realistically.. Roddick's serve, as a standalone shot, had very similar numbers up until the last year of his career (and we all know that he's admitted to major shoulder issues in that year)

but look at the ease with which Federer handled the Roddick serve, and almost every big serve in his prime. Only the very biggest serves for pace could really do anything to him, and only if they were hitting their spots.

Roddick's game is 10x inferior to Sampras. While Fed's performance @ 2007OZ was lethal, it was pretty much target practice given how poorly he was approaching.

Quote:
He's never had trouble with the Sampras serve in any of the times they've played..
I'm just saying, if he had a day like that AO 2007 semi... Sampras wouldn't get out of trouble very easily with his serve, and I doubt he'd match Roger on the ground. and with the way Fed was passign that day, Sampras would struggle at net as well.
They've only played once, though.

Yeah I agree Sampras wouldn't get out of trouble very easily. I didn't say he would. Just that it wouldn't be a blow-out either way, especially at Wimbledon considering Sampras' game was tailor-made for grass and how he was broken only 4 times in 7 finals, and the US Open. It would likely be one-sided on clay, but not anywhere else imo.

and again, while I agree Fed was supreme in that match, look at Roddicks approaches. They were subpar. Roddick simply does not know how to patrol the net, yet he kept going there like a headless chicken in that match.
TheFifthSet is offline   Reply With Quote